Friday, April 22, 2011

Post #3: New Phyrexia Spoiler

So, the entire New Phyrexia spoiler was leaked a few days ago. Unfortunately, I had finals and other commitments, so I couldn't make a comment sooner. I'd just like to say, that this leak was horrible. I'm completely devastated that someone in the magic community would do something like this. Leaks like this, about a month before the set is released, is horrible for sales and for the set as a whole. When everyone on the internet can view the spoiler early, they have a full month to figure out what decks they want to build for standard/- format or casual. The prices of cards will become more defined, so getting copies of cards before they jump in price will become more difficult. Most importantly, the spoiler will cause the set to lose hype. In defense of popular opinion, I think New Phyrexia is a great set and shows us that WotC (Wizards of the Coast) is willing to take risks with some cards. I feel that all of their efforts in showing off their design and creativity has been ruined.

I think Evan Erwin from Starcitygames does a great job of explaining how this spoiler hurts the game. If you want to see more, check out 'The Magic Show: ep #230'



I'll try not to give too much away from the spoiler, but I'd like to put in my vote for the best card in New Phyrexia, Beast Within. The most straightforward card towards destroying planeswalkers (Jace the Mind Sculptor for standard), and in green. Giving green access to vindicate and at instant speed (and 3 mana!) this card is a house. In casual and singleton, this card has the versatility to take care of almost anything. The downside to giving your opponent a 3/3 does not even compare to the ability to take down a player's win condition, every time. Also the fact that it's an uncommon makes it easily accessible to players looking for 'cheap' options to take care of some $50-100 cards in the standard format. I can see foils of this card reaching near $10+. I'm really excited for this card and can't wait to start running it in singleton and casual decks.

No comments:

Post a Comment