Monday, June 20, 2011

COMMANDER! Review: Part 4

After playing in the Commander Release Event on June 17th, I couldn't be more impressed. The decks are amazing and incredibly fun to play right out of the box. Personally, it's going to be a big challenge to merge the singleton decks I already have with the Commander decks out of the box. I'll be hosting some small group workshops on Commander/EDH in Gainesville and Orlando, Fl. This Thursday (or Friday) I'll be working on Vorosh, the Hunter in Gainesville, Fl at Mega Gaming and Comics. Next week, I'll be in Orlando, Fl bringing Teneb, the Harvester with me to CoolStuffGames. Over the course of this next week, I'll also be working on Intet, the Dreamer here on the MTG Casual Net Blog! I'll be taking photos of the workshops and I'll be posting the final decklists here. Stay tuned!

For my Commander review, I chose to pick some of the more ignored generals, probably the ones that will be low on some radars (with Kaalia of the Vast, and The Mimeoplasm being the most popular). I'll be discussing Karador, Ghost Chieftan and Tariel, Reckoner of Souls.


The card that was spoiled when Commander was first released is Karador, Ghost Chieftan. First off, I'd just like to say, look at that flavor text! Absolutely epic. Now, I chose to discuss Karador, even though he's been discussed quite a bit since his spoiler, I couldn't resist talking about him. Obviously, Karador gets better with more creatures in your graveyard, making his casting cost cheaper, but what else can he do? As your graveyard size increases (the game progresses) Karador becomes invaluable. I think of Karador as a Debtor's Knell or a Sheoldred, the Whispering One that doesn't draw as much hate or attention. Karador has the downside of you paying a mana cost to cast cards from your graveyard. But that could be to a great advantage. Cards that benefit from casting such as Vengevine or Artisan of Kozilek will rejoice as they're recurred from your graveyard ready to swing at an unexpecting opponent. Karador is similar to Geth, Lord of the Vault, where he is able to take over a game very quickly. Karador can be controlled as a better win condition than Geth, since you can dump your own utility creatures in your graveyard to reuse them to destroy permanents or interrupt your opponents strategies. With any mana doubling effects, like Mirrari's Wake or Mana Reflection, Karador can become very problematic for multiple opponents very quickly. Even moreso with a 'sacrifice a creature' outlet.

Cards like Fauna Shaman, Greater Good, Survival of the Fittest, and Tortured Existence become very powerful in gaining you the right pieces to a combo or help you filter your deck for any type of answer. Karador's mana cost also becomes cheaper as you use these discarding abilities, giving you more strength in synergy for recursion strategy using Karador. I feel Karador is a very strong general and has a lot of interactions with utility and bomb creatures. He also reduces his own mana cost (including the additional 2mana payment after each death/exile) which makes him extremely viable in the late game. Cards like Bojuka Bog and Tormod's Crypt that run rampant in the Commander format can easily interrupt the Karador strategy, but it isn't something the deck can't recover from with some good tweaking. Overall, I've been very impressed with Karador and can't wait to cast him.


I just noticed that both of these generals I'm reviewing recur creatures. That must say something about my personality.. haha. Tariel, Reckoner of Souls also has absolutely amazing flavor text. Fantastic job, Wizards of the Coast. Tariel is very interesting. Recurring a creature at random from an opponent's graveyard is very unique and I honestly don't know what type of impact this card will have in gameplay. I feel that Tariel is like a slot machine and you could get something very good, or something very average. Although, most Commander decks play great creatures or great utility, so I feel that even at random, the ability will always give you upside (unless your opponent is playing some sort of group hug deck.. yikes!) I like Tariel because she can block a titan and survive. Also, she has vigilance which makes her very defensive and offensive when necessary, similar to Sun Titan and Adarkar Valkyrie. I don't expect Tariel to make huge waves in the Commander format (because of the Kaalia shadowing over as a cheaper general), but I think Tariel will definitely be a great finisher and support card for the Oros, the Avenger colored control decks.

If you're really trying to break Tariel, using cards like Withered Wretch to manipulate your opponents' graveyards to give you exactly what cards you're looking for. I feel like that strategy would draw quite a bit of hate from the table. Not many people thoroughly enjoy their graveyard being exiled. I would leave the option open, but recurring a creature at random sounds like a very enjoyable experience as everyone holds their breathe as you either recur a 2/2 grizzly bear or a Stormtide Leviathan. Can't wait to flip some coins for random creatures =]

Thanks for being awesome viewers. If you enjoy the content provided here on MTG Casual Net, please follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Group. 

-David J.

No comments:

Post a Comment