Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pack to Power #1: Trades 2-6

This segment of the MTG Casual Net blog will be dedicated to a small portion of my Quest project I started back in September, 2011. The details of the Quest can be found Here. If you missed out on the introduction to my pack to power journey, check out Quest for the Holy Relics #4: Pack to Power, which has the pack opening and the first trade!

For my pack to power journey to succeed, I would need a couple of things; the first, having good friends who are willing to help me out on the journey and the second, card volume. The more cards you have, the higher probability of having a card someone wants or better yet, needs. Moving cards is the key to this project and I need to make as many transactions as possible to keep the selection of cards diverse and to build up a trading reputation. Keeping all this in mind, I went into the next few trades, shooting for volume to increase the amount of selection I have available.

Trade 2:

This one came up after my friend, Jav, and I were talking about my pack to power and how I was going to accomplish it. He mentioned that he needed a Blasphemous Act for his sideboard for Kessig Green, featuring the powerhouse of Dungrove Elder. Luckily, it's exactly what the doctor ordered. He was willing to help and I asked him to throw in every junky rare he didn't mind offering for the project. Appreciate the help, man!

-1 Blasphemous Act $0.99
+1 Moonmist FOIL $0.99
+1 Titanic Growth FOIL $0.49
+1 Tunnel Ignus $0.49
+1 Tower of Calamaties $0.49
+1 Thopter Assembly $0.49
+1 Dormant Gomazoa $0.49
+1 Djinn of Wishes $0.49
+1 Bludgeon Brawl $0.49
+1 Shape Anew $0.49
+1 Praetor's Grasp $0.75

Total: +$4.67

This trade is exactly what I needed to get started. I'm glad that I could help Jav out with his deck and he could throw me some fodder to hopefully move to people looking for random sideboard cards or casual decks. A lot of these rares were Standard legal, so I'm confident that a lot of them could move.

Trade 3-4:

This next pair of trades was with my friend, Gyula who's always really helpful when it comes to starting projects and is always a team player. He took a quick scan of my binder and took the foil Titanic Growth. Considering he doesn't really play green, I took this as a generous offer. He asked me to take a look at his binder, so when I opened it, a bunch of cards fell out. I decided to trade for them, since they 'jumped out at me' so to speak.

-1 FOIL Titanic Growth $0.49
+1 FOIL Galvanic Juggernaut $0.49
+1 Innistrad Forest $0.25
+2 Scourge of Geier Reach $0.20/each
+1 Distant Memories $0.49

Total: +1.09

The next trade was kind of an oops, since Gyula also wanted the Unburial Rites for his Dromar, the Banisher EDH deck. Since I knew he didn't really play red, I decided to go for a card that might be in demand in the right playgroup, considering a budget Kessig deck might turn up in a Top 8 somewhere.


-1 Unburial Rites $0.75
+1 Rootbound Crag $2.99

Total: +2.24


Trade 5:

The final 2 trades happened when I took my binder out to Gainesville, Fl to meet up with my friends, Sean and Jason. I had brought along my mentor, Roger who was in town for a couple games of EDH. After getting crushed by Sean's Bant token deck, we hit the trade binders. He pulled out a Thopter Assembly for his mono red EDH deck he's been concocting and asked me to put together a pile of cards for it. After putting a few cards in, I felt like I had taken too much, but he didn't mind.

-1 Thopter Assembly $0.49
+1 Wall of Omens $0.99
+1 Amulet of Vigor $0.99
+1 Temple Bell $0.75

Total: +$2.24


I'm really excited for this trade. Global draw effects like Temple Bell are really popular in the Orlando playgroup and I have high hopes for the Amulet and the Wall of Omens, both of which see lots of play in casual magic.

Trade 6:

This trade happened after Sean's roommate, Jason, took a look at the binder and saw the Praetor's Grasp that I think he could use. Jason is a heavy control player, so it's no surprise he chose the controlly black card. After looking in his binder for some small things, I saw a Greed and I knew that would move well in Orlando, since I have a few friends building black decks and card draw is always a premium. After a little hesitation, he let the Greed go. Of course the true win is that foil forest. I hope that Praetor's Grasp allows you to cast awesome spells, Jason (and hopefully I'm not on the receiving end of that spell!)


-1 Praetor's Grasp $0.75
+1 FOIL Innistrad Forest $0.99
+1 Greed $0.49
+1 Lifeforce $0.75
+1 Weakness $0.25

Total: +$1.73

I was really surprised by the price of Lifeforce. Strange counterspells out of blue sometimes get some love, so I'll take a small risk on it and see how it does.

End of the Day Total: +$11.97

Thanks for reading! If you'd like to make a trade, check out the Trade Document on the right hand side of the blog. I'll do my best to keep the list updated. Until the next trades, Magic players!

Interested in more Magic content? Check out every series on the MTG Casual Network Archive!

-David J.

Follow us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment